ISKANDAR PUTERI, Aug 28  — The Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Tanjung Adang and Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Tanjung Adang that were closed for two days from Sunday, following a forest fire in Gelang Patah here, have resumed lessons this morning.

A Bernama check at two schools found that parents started sending their children as early as 7 am.

Some students were also seen wearing face masks as there was still a burning smell in the air.

SMK Tanjung Adang principal Noor Hafizah Abdul Wahab said, she, on behalf of the school, was relieved and grateful that there was no sign of smoke in the morning and the weather was cloudy.

However, the school is still carrying out precautionary measures by distributing two sets of face mask each to its 204 students, and 41 teachers, school staff, security guards as well as the canteen operators.

“We also advise students with health problems not to attend school session today as a precautionary measure.

“Any outside activities are also being suspended and students should return home as soon as the school session is over,” she told reporters at the school compound here today.

Noor Hafizah said on Sunday several students and teachers were suffering from shortness of breath due to the forest fire, but all had received early treatment at a nearby health clinic.

She also expressed her appreciation to various parties, especially the state Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) for working around-the-clock to extinguish the fire since Aug 21.

“The school’s surau is located nearest to the forest fire but thankfully nothing happened as the firefighters were quick in their respond,” she said.

The forest fire that started last Wednesday and covered an area of ??16 hectares was believed to be caused by hot and dry weather.

As of yesterday, 70 per cent of the forest fire have been successfully extinguished and the total flooding technique has been used by JBPM for the remaining 30 per cent of the area of fire which were still burning.

To date, 140 firefighters and 30 JBPM assets have been used in the firefighting operations as well as assistance from other agencies such as the Johor Irrigation and Drainage Department.

— BERNAMA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here