KUALA LUMPUR,Dec 14 Top Glove Corp Bhd today confirmed the death of one of its security guards, who died on Saturday at Sg Buloh Hospital. 

In a short statement to The Vibes today, Top Glove said that “Yamnarayan Chaudhary Tharu, 29, from Nepal, died as a result of Covid-19 pneumonia with lung fibrosis”. 

He had worked at Top Glove’s manufacturing facility in Meru, Klang, for more than two years.

“Towards this, Top Glove offers our deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences to the family and loved ones of the deceased, and is working with the authorities for Mr Tharu’s burial arrangements. 

“Additionally, compassionate payment shall be made to the next of kin of the deceased to ease the financial burden of his family.”

Yesterday, The Vibes had reported that Tharu was admitted to hospital on November 21.

A source said security guards’ duties had been increased at Top Glove during the movement control order in the absence of thermal scanners, with the guards being responsible for taking people’s temperatures with handheld temperature scanners.

Ever since the Teratai Covid-19 cluster was established in and around its Meru factories, Top Glove has come under intense scrutiny by the media and local authorities. 

The Labour Department has opened 19 investigation papers in five states over allegations of flouting the Workers’ Minimum Standards of Housing and Amenities Act 1990 (Act 446), and will refer the findings to the Attorney-General’s Chambers.

Earlier yesterday, Reuters had reported that Top Glove fired whistle-blower Yubaraj Khadka, also a Nepali, for sharing photos of fellow employees crowding in a factory with a workers’ rights campaigner. 

Top Glove has parried claims of abuse, saying that it has spent millions to improve living conditions in Meru and will be investing a further RM100 million in building new hostels and amenities for 7,300 workers over the next three years. – The Vibes, December 14, 2020


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here