KUALA LUMPUR, June 1 — The successful implementation of the Wage Subsidy Programme by the Social Security Organisation (Socso) in rescuing 4.7 million workers and 498,882 employers previously had prompted the government to extend it for another month through PEMERKASA Plus, says Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri M Saravanan.
He said the effort indirectly provided relief to the people during difficult times following the COVID-19 outbreak, besides helping employers retain their workforce and stay afloat in the affected economic sectors.
“The Ministry of Human Resources (MOHR) will continue to be committed in its efforts to ensure that the initiatives outlined under PEMERKASA Plus can be realised and further benefit the targeted groups,” he said in a statement.
Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin yesterday announced the Wage Subsidy Programme under PEMERKASA Plus involving an allocation of RM1.5 billion, which is expected to benefit more than 2.5 million workers and 200,000 employers.
Other initiatives under the package include a one-month levy exemption (June 2021) for employers registered with Pembangunan Sumber Manusia Berhad and knowledge and skills upgrading through the ‘e-LATIH’ learning portal, which offers 400 modules and skills courses for free.
The PEMERKASA Plus initiative worth RM40 billion has outlined three main goals and focuses on 12 strategic initiatives, with MOHR involved specifically in the second goal, namely continuing the ‘Prihatin Rakyat’ agenda.