KOTA KINABALU, July 23 — Sabah will be given priority to receive the single-dose CanSino COVID-19 vaccine when a supply of three million doses is received by Malaysia in August, according to a statement from the Chief Minister’s Department.
It said National COVID-19 Immunisation Programme (PICK) Coordinating Minister Khairy Jamaluddin gave the assurance to Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Hajiji Noor during an online discussion between the two leaders today.
“It (single-dose vaccine) is also important for us to be able to reach communities in rural areas and remote islands, where their mobility is affected due to the relatively difficult and remote terrain conditions,” Khairy was quoted as saying during the meeting.
Hajiji said to date, 177 vaccination centres (PPV) had been opened throughout the state, and with the mobile outreach and Army Medic vaccination programmes in place, the state was on track to ensure more people were vaccinated.
Thanking the Federal government for its cooperation in the vaccination programme, Hajiji welcomed Khairy’s assurance to the state, which was currently facing vaccine supply constraints.
Meanwhile, Sabah State Health Department director Dr Rose Nani Mudin, who was also present in the meeting said Sabah’s first Integrated PPV will begin operations at the Sabah International Convention Center (SICC) next week.
“The Intergrated PPV will provide vaccines for free, and allow private hospitals to help speed up the vaccination process, thus reducing the burden faced by public hospitals at this time,” she said.
Among others present during the virtual discussion were Sabah Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun, Sabah Community Development and People’s Wellbeing Minister Shahelmey Yahya, Special Advisor to the Prime Minister on Public Health Tan Sri Dr Jemilah Mahmood, and Deputy Army Chief Lt Gen Datuk Mohammad Ab Rahman.