GEORGE TOWN, Sept 23 — The Penang government is waiting for Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob’s approval for travel to the state towards reviving its tourism industry.
State executive councillor for Tourism and Creative Economy, Yeoh Soon Hin today said the key tourism industry players in Penang such as hoteliers and tourist attraction operators had already drawn up strict standard operating procedures (SOPs) against COVID-19 and were waiting to welcome their potential domestic tourists.
He also expects that there will not be any further announcement on introducing more domestic travel bubbles such as the reopening of Pulau Langkawi.
“Instead, I believe that when we are able to reach our vaccination goal here in Penang, interstate travel would later be allowed,” he said at a press conference here.
He expects that the travel restriction to Penang will be lifted by mid-October this year when 90 per cent of the state’s population have been fully vaccinated.
“Hopefully by then, the tourism industry in Penang can gradually recover from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said.
As of today, 76.7 per cent of the adults in Penang have been fully vaccinated, while an additional 18.2 per cent have received their first dose.
Earlier today, Yeoh attended the launch of Shangri-La Group’s “StaySurance” personal accident coverage programme at the Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa here.
In collaboration with Shangri-La Group and AIG Malaysia, the StaySurance offers personal accident coverage to staycation guests with daily hospital cash benefits of up to USD100 (RM418.20) per day in the event of positive diagnosis of infectious diseases such as COVID-19.
Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa director of communications, Suleiman Tunku Abdul Rahman said the “StaySurance” also provided coverage for other infectious diseases such as Ebola, MERS, SARS, dengue fever, malaria and Zika.
He said the personal accident coverage applied to all seven Shangri-La hotels in Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Sabah.