PUTRAJAYA, Sept 3 — The government will impose an entry ban on citizens of countries recording more than 150,000 cases of COVID-19 starting next Monday (Sept 7), Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced.
He said among the countries in the list were the United States, Brazil, France, United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Russia and Bangladesh, as well as three countries announced previously, namely India, Indonesia and the Philippines.
“We will add more countries deemed high-risk, which have more than 150,000 positive cases, into the list. Their citizens will be barred (from entering Malaysia).
“However, for emergency cases or involving bilateral relations, such as if a person needs to come for a meeting between countries, we will allow entry. But it requires permission from the Immigration Department,” he told reporters after chairing the Special Committee Meeting on the Embracing New Norms Campaign here, today.
He added that the Health Ministry would be announcing the details on countries which have recorded more than 150,000 positive cases of COVID-19 later.