GEORGE TOWN，Oct 5: The Penang government today warned all businesses of immediate closure if they went against Covid-19 SOPs.
Local Government Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said enforcement operations will be carried out daily by the city council starting tomorrow.
To date, he said, 33 eateries and entertainment outlets had been shuttered by the city councils on the island and mainland for breaching physical distancing and health rules.
He said that in view of the soaring number of cases nationally, the Penang and Seberang Perai city councils will increase their foot patrols and manpower to monitor all outlets from tomorrow.
“We thank those who are complying with measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Please be warned that we will come down hard on those who continue to ignore our repeated warnings,” he said at Komtar.
Jagdeep said the compliance rate on the island stood at 99.6%, based on checks on 335,116 outlets, and 99.3% in Seberang Perai after checks on 571,516 premises.
Penang has had 149 confirmed Covid-19 cases and two deaths so far.