MELAKA, Jan 5 — The government has set up a task force headed by the Port Klang Authority to address container congestion at its port which has been occurring since the third quarter of last year, said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.
He said test runs which had been conducted since last week revealed that the number of containers handled by the port authority had increased from 100 to 200.
He said the congestion could be due to the delay in processing caused by the implementation of the new norms following the COVID-19 outbreak.
“Some adjustments may need to be made by all parties, particularly involving coordination and I think the involvement of all parties can reduce the congestion,” he told reporters after the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of a training and driving test circuit in Ayer Molek, here today.
He said the task force would involve all relevant agencies including the Customs department.
The RM2.3 million training and driving test circuit will start construction this month and expected to complete October this year.