SHAH ALAM, Sept 29 — The 100-Year Flood Mitigation Project in Selangor is expected to be completed in at least a year, said Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari.
He explained that some works for the project were ongoing but some were affected by the implementation of the Movement Control Order.
He said the existing mitigation project was for the drainage and irrigation system for a period of 50 years, which was seen as no longer able to accommodate a large amount of rainwater in some areas in the state due to the rapid development projects.
“This was decided last year. As I have said before, the project cannot be implemented in a hurry because it requires technical reports from relevant departments and the state Irrigation and Drainage Department will be the focal agency to manage and implement this project.
He said this after the contribution presentation ceremony from Kumpulan Semesta Sdn Bhd to the Selangor state government here today.
The contribution of RM10.4 million from the state subsidiary includes the company’s annual contribution, Heritage Fund, financial aid for Palestinians to the Selangor Prihatin Humanitarian Fund as well as for the Selangor Kita Economic Stimulus Package 2.0.
Apart from that, Amirudin said the state government was planning to change the method to build new bunds to prevent flood incidents in certain areas.
“This is because every time we build new bunds, they collapsed. So, we need to change the material and not only using soil and maybe we need new structure so that the bunds will not collapse and cause floods as what had happened several times in Dengkil and Kuala Selangor,” he said.