BATANG KALI, Dec 16 — The death toll due to the landslide at a campsite near here has now increased to 11 with 23 other victims still missing.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the first body was found under the debris at 5.40 this morning.
“A total of 363 rescuers from 15 agencies are still trying to locate the missing victims with the help of six tracking dogs.
“I have also asked Inspector-General of Police (Tan Sri Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani) to mobilise 30 members from the Central Brigade General Operations Force to help in the search and rescue work,” he told reporters at the scene.
The minister said details of the 94 victims were obtained from the registration book provided by the camping site operator.
“The number may change as I was informed that some came with their families but only registered one name to represent the family, but I do hope it will not be the case,” he said.
Meanwhile, Saifuddin Nasution also instructed Hulu Selangor Police chief Supt Suffian Abdullah to issue a safety order to temporarily close all campsites and water recreational areas in the district until further notice.
“All campsites and riverside recreational areas here are now off-limits to visitors,” he said.
Bernama’s check at the scene found that the rescue team was using heavy machinery to remove debris and boulders in the area.
The Batang Kali road heading to Genting Highland has also been closed to all traffic to facilitate the search and rescue operation.
It was reported earlier that 53 victims had been brought out from the site of the landslide and sent to the Kuala Kubu Bharu Hospital and the Sungai Buloh Hospital, while those killed were sent to Kuala Lumpur Hospital for post-mortem.