KUALA LUMPUR, June 26 (Bernama) — There was no testimony showing former Labuan MP Datuk Rozman Isli had made a decision or took any action to ensure Labuan Liberty Port Management Sdn Bhd (LLPM) would be appointed as Labuan Liberty Port operator, Sessions Court Judge Rozina Ayob said here today.

In her judgment to free and acquit Rozman, 59, from charges of using his position to obtain contracts for LLPM, Judge Rozina ruled that the prosecution’s failure to call Datuk Wee Jack Seng, then the Labuan Port Authority (LPA) chairman, to testify had brought about an issue of adverse inference.

“Without his (Wee’s) testimony, the question of the accused’s influence on the decision reached by the LPA meeting remains unanswered.

“Based on the testimonies of the prosecution’s witnesses, the court finds that the accused is not the highest power in LPA and not the individual who chaired the meetings (on Jan 4, 2018 and March 21, 2018). This shows that there are loopholes in the prosecution’s narrative,” she said, further stating that their testimonies showed that the port authority did not want LLPM to be given the chance to be appointed as the operator.

She also said that the prosecution’s foundation for prosecution turned out to be baseless because they failed to prove that there was an operator appointed by LPA, as the decision made during the March 21, 2018 meeting was to defer the appointment of a new operator and there was no such appointment made on that date as well.

Judge Rozina also pointed out that the prosecution failed to prove that the accused, Rozman, had taken or asked to take action to ensure LLPM was appointed as operator.

“Instead, there is opposing testimony as prosecution witnesses stated that during the LPA meetings, the accused informed that LP Multi Terminal Sdn Bhd had the best potential to be appointed operator and not LLPM,” she ruled.

Meanwhile, Rozman, who is Labuan Parti Warisan division chief, told reporters after the ruling today that he was grateful for the court’s decision and thanked his lawyers, family and friends who continued to support him.

“Alhamdulilah… thank Allah, right from the start I stated that I was innocent and when I was charged in court, I left it to the court to conduct its matters and was confident of the legal process… today justice has been served,” he said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here