KUALA TERENGGANU, Aug 25 — A total of 1,124 residents in Pulau Perhentian have been compelled to undergo swab tests conducted by the State Health Department since Friday to curb the COVID-19 spike in the popular resort island.
State Health director Datuk Dr Kasemani Embong said the swab tests involving almost 70 per cent of the islanders were expected to be completed later today.
“The swab tests had to be conducted after 75 positive cases were recorded among the residents so far. Restriction on movement from or to the island had also been enforced since Friday.
“The spread of the COVID-19 cases in the island was not caused by movement of tourists, but the locals who travel frequently between the island and the mainland,” she told Bernama today.
She said all those who were tested positive have been sent to Setiu Hospital and COVID-19 Quarantine and Low-Risk Treatment Centre (PKRC) at the Wawasan Camp and Sultan Mizan Institute of Teachers Education, and are in stable condition.
Dr Kasemani said those who had been in close contact with COVID-19 patients were instructed to undergo home quarantine.
A total of 979 residents and tourism industry players in Pulau Perhentian had received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine on Aug 5 under the State Health Department’s outreach programme.